Thursday 26 March 2015

Unapologetically me.....


"You are going to keep a blog", says our lecturer.
Yes!, I mentally fisted my hand, while the mind is frantically thinking about all the things I want to write. Excited much.

Then the bombshell, 'it's going to be an academic blog."

I have never before blogged about academics, so this is going to be different for me.

Let's see how it pans out....

Suffice to say it’s not easy to type this, I had an operation and my right hand is in a sling. Typing with the left hand, one finger at a time is hilarious, yes pun definitely intended. 

I love writing, words are fun and expressive. What I like about writing is the play on words. How I can make it mine, how it can convey exactly what I feel and see. Academic writing is anything but fun. 

This is my first entry and it’s going to be totally off subject. I will reflect about my lecturer and my fellow classmates.

Dr Sandy Zinn

Before going to my first class, as I would normally prepare for anything, I read the bio on my lecturer. Dr Sandy Zinn, head of Library and Information Science department. Holds a doctorate degree and is well published and travelled. So in my mind’s eye I see this librarian who is a no-nonsense, strict lady.
How wrong I was. What a pleasant, beautiful, articulate woman. Humble to the core. She introduces herself as Sandy. Yes, she is no nonsense when it comes to class work but she also makes the lectures fun and lively with participation and some laughs. I am indeed honoured to have Sandy as my lecturer.




We are a small, intimate class of five, myself included. The attention we get as a group is personal and one feels included in the many discussions that takes place. 


Rachel

Friend of many
Student of five
Daughter of some
Mother of two
Wife of one....my best friend
That is the sum total of me
It is the people in our lives who shape and ground us and make us who we were meant to be.....




Thuleta

Easy going person
Funny
Likes making jokes and making people laugh
Friendly
Easy to work with







Linon


I am Linon Taurai Magana. Born on the 19 January 1988 in Zimbabwe. I did my primary and secondary education in Zimbabwe before emigrating to South Africa. I attended Walter Sisulu University where I pursued my BSC in Computer Science. I worked as an Automated Systems Librarian where I developed a passion for Librarianship. Three years later I enrolled for PGDLIS. I am currently pursuing my Masters in Library Science.







Hana

And then there's me. I am quoting my son, as he describes me (at a CHEC course I attended last year).






So that's us, our Masters class doing ICT Trends and Applications.





5 comments:

  1. I love people and this was such a thoughtful way to get to know everyone a little better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A relatively 'fresh', new format of introducing what is to come and what is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Waheed, for my first post I wanted to keep the tone very simple, this first post is "mine". Tones of "reflection" is evident however, it is far from being an academic piece.

    Thank you for your input Waheed. Hope to see you back on the blog soon......

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever way of knowing each other and building a sense of community. This approach really worked very much.

    ReplyDelete