Tuesday 26 May 2015

Turnitin (or nail biting) anticipation



I have successfully completed my +5000-word essay. Super amped. No!....wait I have to Turnitin.....

What was so funny for me was a reversal of roles. I often had to get my students to Turnitin. This is a software package to detect plagiarism. One has to turn one's essay or assignment to this site and you get a print out showing how much you have plagiarised. I would often hear the complaints, "Oh God I have to do it again"; "Damn this Turnitin" and some too sensitive to mention, but you get the picture.

I remember the morning I turned my essay in, I sit waiting in bated breath, fingers, toes and anything else crossable was crossed. 17%....
Not bad right.That's what I thought. Anyway, I worked on the essay some more and brought my Turnitin percentage down to 11%. Yeah, that more like it.

So.... essay submitted, I was happy with Turnitin now to prepare for presentation......


For more information on Turnitin....click here

http://turnitin.com/en_us/features/originalitycheck



What the Turnitin report looks like.....

OriginalityCheck

3 comments:

  1. Turnitin is a very useful tool to improve writing skill and i enjoyed it too. However i would like to know from your experiences about the following concerns?
    1. I am of the view that it breaches the Intellectual Property (IP) rights of students, and
    2. Confidentiality of the students may be violated
    What are your views?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I know of Turnitin, it is a secure site, unlike other sites where your information can be used by other people. Read the following privacy pledge that Turnitin makes... http://turnitin.com/en_us/about-us/privacy-center/privacy-pledge
    Hopefully, it will shed some light onto the subject.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I know of Turnitin, it is a secure site, unlike other sites where your information can be used by other people. Read the following privacy pledge that Turnitin makes... http://turnitin.com/en_us/about-us/privacy-center/privacy-pledge
    Hopefully, it will shed some light onto the subject.....

    ReplyDelete